libdbi for postgresql

James Wilde james.wilde at sunde-wilde.com
Thu Aug 25 01:01:09 EDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 05:57 , John Ralls wrote:

>> >SNIP>

>> Not apparently on my Mac Mini running Lion.  I did a search of the
>> entire hard disk for sqlite3, earlier today, and the only thing it found
>> was a couple of files in a download I made from (I think) source forge
>> yesterday.
>
> Well, it appears that you're not very good at looking:
> $ athena-2:/Users/john> ls /usr/lib/libsqlite3.*
> /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib@	/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib*
>
> If you used Spotlight, too bad: It doesn't look for libraries... and it doesn't qualify as "searching the entire hard disk". If you want to do that, try "find / -iname *sqlite*".

Thanks, John, I got that.  I suppose I should have been warned that Finder doesn't look everywhere by the fact that it doesn't include hidden files and I've not yet found a way to make it do so.

> SQLite3 is what Apple uses for the SQL backend of CoreData; it's a necessary component of quite a few of the applications included in OSX. For our (meaning Gnucash's) purposes, it provides a nice SQL interface combined with single file storage and no admin overhead maintaining a server. Since simply googling "sqlite3" provides plenty of references, including the SQLite3 homepage, perhaps you're being a bit contrary.

Perhaps I am!  It seems a shame that the only output forms from such a good accounting package are sqlite3 or the shitty html offering.  I'll follow some links I found by googling on "sqlite gnucash" and see where they lead me.  But first, now I've got gnucash outputting in my locale format, thanks to you, I'll take another look at how quickly I can get useable reports by saving as html and loading into LibreOffice.

Regards
//James