am having trouble with newer version of gnucash

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Aug 25 05:43:40 EDT 2011

[ Please remember to send all replies to the list. You can do this by using
the reply-to-all or reply-to-list feature of your mail client. ]

On donderdag 25 augustus 2011, Wendy Jalbert wrote:
> Hi Geert - Thank you very much for responding to my questions.
>
> Yes, I am talking about bank accounts that are associated with my church.
> I am the treasurer and have been keeping the books on gnucash.   I keep
> the accounts on a stick drive (thumb drive?).  When I open gnucash on my
> old computer, it automatically opens these accounts on the stick drive.
> On the new computer gnucash always asks me to set up new accounts or
> download accounts -- I don't want to do either so I just ignore all that
> and open my accounts on the stick drive.  This is okay; not a problem
> unless it's affecting how the report options work.

This part is probably because the online banking settings are not set up
properly on the new computer yet. I don't use this feature, so I can't really
comment on that.

It shouldn't have anything to do with your other problem though.

> My problem is that I need to do monthly and semi-annual treasurer's reports
> which I base on the following gnucash reports:  cash flow, income
> statement, transaction report, account summary.  On my old computer with
> gnucash 2.2.9 I would open the needed report then right click on the
> report and select "report options".  It would then send me to the options
> and I would change the start and end date to the dates I needed.  On my
> new computer with gnucash 2.4.7 I open the needed report then right click
> and nothing happens.  I have not been able to figure out how to change the
> dates on a specific report.  The result is that any report I can get
> starts at the beginning of the year and ends on the date I look at it
> (often the middle of the month).  The only way I can do my treasurer's
> reports is to open all the transactions for the period of time I want and
> do all the itemizing and adding myself -- sort of defeats the purpose of
> computer accounting.
I never knew right-clicking a report opened the options window on GnuCash
2.2.9. See, I'm learning everyday as well :)

But what I do know is that you should be able to access the same options
window for your report by clicking the appropriate button on the toolbar. When
the report is opened, it's the second button from the right, labelled "Edit
Report Options". Or you could use the menu "Edit" -> "Report Options".

I hope this helps.

Geert