Installation on XP.

Robert Eldon Taylor philologos at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 25 11:34:04 EDT 2011

John Layman wrote:
> I run GNUcash on Windows, and, yes, you can relocate those files from the
> user folder to Application Data.  The key is to add a HOME= setting to the
> file:
>
> C:/Program Files/gnucash/etc/gnucash/environment
>
> Below is the configuration setting from my XP system:
>
> HOME=C:/Documents and Settings/John/Application Data/Gnucash
>
> Initially, you'll have to manually create that directory and move the files
> over to it.  Thereafter, just remember that your changed environment file
> will be overwritten by a software update.  Each time you update to a new
> version of GNUcash, you'll need to add the HOME= setting to the environment
> file prior to launching the application.
Thanks for the help, John.  This did work without problems.  But it is
a shame they don't put the files in the proper place in the first
place.  It looks messy and makes me reluctant to recommend to the sort
of innocents I have in mind.

> On a completely different note:
>
> Hey, man!  It is phenomenal to find an accountant with your attitude about
> software.  For every accountant who uses Iomega software because his clients
> do, I'm betting there are thousands of clients who use it only because their
> accountant insists on it.

I guess I will take this as a compliment.  My only attitude about
accounting software is that it not be mistaken for an accounting
system.  I used to do this with pen and paper and an adding machine.
No one would refer to those as an "accounting system".  I have nothing
against quicken, which I have used since quicken 3.  But I do have a
bone to pick with Intuit which manipulates people's ignorance to
encourage them to think that buying a copy of quickbooks makes you an
accountant.  I think I already mentioned Gnucash's excellent tutorial
which actually explains basic accounting principles.  Intuit has
nothing like that.

Regards, Bob Taylor