Chart of accounts

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Sun Aug 28 18:45:02 EDT 2011

Actually, I would contend that the feature you're characterizing as
unimportant ranks close to being condicio sine qua non for an accounting
package. For as much as I am glad GnuCash is available, it is far from being
a polished, well-packaged piece of work like Open Office.

As for your snarky  this-is-how-freeware-works comment, I would beg to
differ.  We're talking here about one sense in which freeware does NOT work
particularly well.  And, as for the sense you meant, no one coerces freeware
volunteerism.  I tire of hearing  comments like yours around here.  Truth to
be told, the economics of freeware may not stand up all that well to close
scrutiny.  I have no knowledge of the individuals who donate effort to the
GC project, but broadly speaking, there is reason to suspect that labor
"donated" to freeware efforts is not infrequently bootlegged on some
unwitting employer's dime.  Freeware continues to be an iffy proposition
just on the economics of it.

One other point to consider about "how freeware works" is that truly
successful software has an actual user base OTHER than the developers.  If a
product has no actual customers, can it actually be said to work?  For some
classes of software the user base is highly technical, but GnuCash does not
fall into that category, and it can be expected to have a majority of users
who lack the chops to pitch in on the effort.  Some users (like myself) may
have the chops, but have their hands completely full running a business.  If
you think GnuCash is a let's-every-man-jack-pitch-in deal, you have
seriously lost touch with reality.

Anyway, it's swell that you have the time to donate, Lincoln.  Keep it up.
But it ain't no cause for self-congratulation.  Quite frankly, as a
greybeard who was part of the software product biz before there even was
such a thing, I found your message to James rather an embarrassment.