debits, credits and reversals.

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 04:41:50 EDT 2011

On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 21:03:56 Jim & Grace Flowers wrote:
> Colin,
>
> I don't know of any philosophical reason, but there is a definite
> bookkeeping reason.  One reason why debits must be recorded as credits and
> credits recorded as debits in a reversing transaction is for audit purposes.
> You personally may not need it for your personal accounts, but it is
> definitely needed for business transactions.

Using double entry bookkeeping with a paper based based system it's much easier to add than to subtract and so fewer mistakes can occur.  See:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DoubleEntryBookkeeping
for a brief axplanation. There are more detailed sources elsewhere I'd guess.

BBC Radio4 did an excellent (I thought)  series back in May about A Brief History of Double Entry Book-keeping.  Not available on i-player unfortunately.  (So not much help, but I thought I'd mention it).

Mike E

> To keep bookkeeping and accounting rules as simple and uncomplicated as
> possible, the same rules apply to both personal and business transactions.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jim

GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/