Suggested improvement to documentation: Migration to 2.4

Barry Bird barry at ornithade.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 17:36:29 EDT 2011

Hello,

I'm sure this information is there somewhere in your documentation, but
it isn't easy to find, but I think the issue is one many users will have
when migrating from gnucash 2.2.9 to 2.4.*.  Gnucash 2.4.* gives the
option of using a database, but when you install in Windows, no option
is given, so you end up still using XML - even that isn't very clear.

So how do you convert to, say sqlite3?  I found the answer in the forum,
it's under Save As - or at least it should be!  I'm sorry, but even when
you've updated the File menu documentation, I and I'm sure many others,
will not find migration under that heading intuitive.  I suggest you
have a section on installation in your help guide where you can address
migration.

Finally, if a uses wants to choose MySQL, this still will not work - it
seems you have to install MySQL first.  Fair enough, the download's big
enough already, but please say so!  A link to the right version to
download would help even more.

That said I find your documentation on the whole very helpful.  Well
done for a brilliant product!

Best Wishes,

Barry Bird