Reports again

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Mon Aug 29 12:56:37 EDT 2011

On 29 August 2011 at 9:56, James Wilde said:

> I've been extremely critical of the reporting ability of GC in recent
> posts, and a remark I noticed in one reply set me thinking.  I decided to
> take GC home to mother, as it were, and take a look at it in its home
> environment under linux.  I have Virtualbox on my Mac, and I have a copy
> of Ubuntu 11.04 running there, so I loaded GC from the Ubuntu repository
> and loaded over my data from the Mac.
>
> Lo and behold, everything worked.  I could get rid of the hyperlinks, I
> could change the font, it recognised my mixed locale (language English,
> almost everything else  sv_SE.UTF-8) and it produced a perfect report,
> both on screen and as an html file.  Importing the html file into
> LibreOffice Calc worked - almost - perfectly, and the value columns were
> values and not text strings.  The hang-up concerned the translation of the
> Swedish letters å, ä and ö (and their higher face equivalents, which I
> didn't test), and this is an issue I must take up with LibreOffice, not
> GC.  It seems that LibO uses a slightly different coding for these
> letters.  In GC and the html report file, å is represented as C3A5.  In
> LibO it is represented as C383C2A5 and comes out as two characters.
> Similarly with the other Swedish letters.

This is what happens when you send the data in UTF-8 and the receiving
system thinks it's in the ISO8859-1 (single-byte-per-character) charset,
and then proceeds to convert it into Unicode/UTF-8 all over again. You
could look at how you transferred the data; there might be an alternative
which lets you convince LibreOffice that it's being given UTF-8 and not
ISO8859-1.