Putting currency on some/all lines of invoice?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 30 11:36:41 EDT 2011

Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:32:48PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Change your locale currency to something that isn't USD and then print
>> the invoice.
>
> Aha.  This works well, thanks.
>
> Probably I've missed this in the documentation somewhere; but in case
> I haven't, here's a proposed patch to make this more obvious to people
> like me.
>
> <h$n>Controlling the currency symbol in reports and invoices</h$n>

> influenced by the locale settings of the user that starts GnuCash.
> The particular locale setting is LC_MONETARY.  You can make reports
> and invoices appear differently by changing this value.  The
> LC_MONETARY locale setting defines the "native" currency; that
> currency always displays using the currency symbol defined by the
> locale.  Other amounts are displayed with an indication of the
> currency for that value.  So, for instance, if your LC_MONETARY value
> is en_US.UTF-8, then US dollar values will display with "$", but
> Canadian dollar amounts will display with "CAD".  Conversely, if your
> LC_MONETARY valye is en_CA.UTF-8, US dollar amounts will display with
> "USD", but Canadian dollar amounts will display with "$".</p>

You should note that there are other issues that occur if you change
your locale currency.  In particular it will change the "transaction
currency" that gets inserted if you enter transactions in the General
Ledger instead of using an account register.