Trading Account Problems

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Thu Dec 1 23:49:44 EST 2011

--On December 1, 2011 8:58:37 PM -0600 Per Kjeldaas <kjeldaas at acm.org>
wrote:

> I elected to use trading accounts, and now I am looking for a way to
> reverse my election, but cannot find it.  It turns out that with this
> election, if you split an old transaction, it will immediately become
> unbalanced, and the system asks you to make it balanced or it will do
> it for you by the use of trading accounts.  Of course, it was already
> balanced before I opened it.  Now the trading accounts will be
> involved in every stock purchase and sale, with stock-type
> sub-accounts created for every transaction.
>
> How can I reverse my unfortunate selectipn?

There really isn't any easy way to get rid of trading accounts once
you've started using them.  It's true that they will be involved in
every stock transaction, but that's what they are for so it shouldn't
be too surprising.

If you want to try to get rid of them you can turn off the option in
the Properties page and then delete all the trading accounts.  Select
the top level "Trading" account and delete it.  Select the options to
delete subaccounts and move transactions to some new account.  This
will probably leave your transactions in a strange state and you'll
have to clean up all the ones that formerly used trading accounts.  I
would very strongly recommend making a backup of your data file before
trying this.

It might be easier to go back to some backup file from before you used
trading accounts and reenter all the subsequent transactions with the
option turned off if there aren't too many.

Actually the best thing would probably be to try to learn how to use
trading accounts effectively and keep them.  This is probably less work
than either of the other two options.

       Mike