Dates in ofx download setup, brokerage data

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 07:42:19 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM, David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net>wrote:

> When I get transactions from multiple credit card accounts at Chase with
> the same user login, I do not see the date storage behavior you are seeing
> with your checking accounts -- my "Since Last Download" appears to be
> stored by account, not user. Looking at the gnucash xml file, the last
> retrieval date is stored per gnucash account in the slot value of key:
> trans-retrieval. It looks to me in the gnucash code as if gnucash is
> passing that trans-retrieval timespec to aqbanking based on the gnucash
> account. So it seems very strange that you can have gnucash change two
> retrieval dates with one Get Transactions run. And I didn't think it was
> possible to point two different gnucash accounts to the same aqbanking
> account. Something strange is happening.
>
> When you choose Get Transactions, you can tell what date gnucash and
> aqbanking will use. The grayed out date in the Select Date box is the date
> Since Last Download is going to use.  That date is the trans-retrieval
> timespec stored in the gnucash account data. So if Since Last Download is
> selected, aqbanking will ask for transactions since the date that appears
> in the next box.
>
> For credit cards, I have to back that date up one day to keep from missing
> batch file date mismatches. (If I download transactions after midnight on
> the 10th, aqbanking thinks I have transactions from the 10th and
> effectively asks for transactions after the 10th. But transactions that
> post at the end of business on the 10th aren't in that new list.)

Thanks for the information about the dates. With your explanation and more
experimenting, I think my problem actually was what you describe with your
credit card scenario, all of my account downloads are driven by batch date,
so I need to back the date up by one day in order to get the transactions
that posted on the batch date of the last download.