Online Banking with Fidelity Investments

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 22:01:04 EST 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Marsh Feldman wrote:

> I'm trying to set up online banking with Fidelity Investments. I'm able to find Fidelity's information in the AqBanking database. But I've not been successful accessing my accounts.
>
> I think the problem is in a nomenclature mismatch between Fidelity and OFX DirectConnect User Setup. OFX uses three terms, "User Name," "User Id," and "Client UID" to identify the user, but Fidelity's web site uses "Username" and "Password." The OFX DirectConnect wizard says "'User Name' is your real name." So that's different from Fidelity, because Fidelity puts restrictions on its Username field and seems to want something bogus, for security purposes. I have no idea which fields in the wizard correspond to the password.
>
> I contacted Fidelity, and they have no idea how the fields map.
>
> Can someone please help?
>
>    Thanks.
>    Marsh

Fidelity's "Username" is aqbanking setup's "User ID".

You hope to whatever deity you prefer that you don't need a ClientUID, because there's no way to find out what that is if Fidelity has assigned one. Usually that would only have been assigned if you had connected with an Intuit product and ING and the Intuit program had jointly decided what it should be. It is encrypted in the Intuit product, the bank probably doesn't even know what it is, and Intuit products don't have an interface to retrieve it.

Aqbanking's "User Name" is internal to gnucash/aqbanking.

Your password is never stored in gnucash, you must enter it every time you connect.

--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net