FW: How to cancel imbalance amounts

Frank H. Ellenberger f.ellenberger at online.de
Sat Dec 10 14:44:52 EST 2011

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2011 um 02:47:16 schrieb Mark Phillips:
:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM, ryoung1 <ryoung1 at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > **
> >
> > Mark****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > As a graduate accountant, I am familiar with the principal of double
> > entry and how accounting procedure deals with it. ****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > At your suggestion, an attempt was made to open The imbalance account but
> > that only exposed an empty page. There are no figures there to edit in
> > search of a zero balance. ****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Briefly stated, details of several investments are correctly entered into
> > the individual share accounts, but the equivalent credit amounts are not
> > transferring to the equity account. *Equity does show the RELEVANT TEXT*–
> > share name and ‘equity’ as credit receptor – BUT NO FIGURES (NUMERALS)
> > DENOTING NUMBER of shares held, or their dollar value in  the credit
> > column. ****

Sounds like some prices are missing or in the wrong direction.
Can you check
a) the price source in your report options,
b) the content of your Price Editor?

Tip: I usually update the Advanced Portefolio report after entering investment
transactions to see if something went wrong.

BTW you read http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/chapter_invest.html ff?

> > With thanks for your own efforts, I wonder if you could pass this message
> > to a consultant who is deeply conversant with aspects of investment data.
> > At this point I am seeing a malfunction which should not exist in such a
> > simple transaction as ‘debit investment, credit equity’. ****

If the above doesn't help, can you create a /simple/ example file showing your
problem?

> > Hope you can assist – if not I’m back to Quicken, sadly!****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > With thanks and regards****