Quickfill gripe -- again!

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Dec 20 23:24:59 EST 2011

On Dec 20, 2011, at 6:05 PM, David T. wrote:

> I'll note for the record that in Gnucash, every transaction has at least one split, so I don't quite understand your third case. As for your squishy middle case, how exactly do you propose implementing this? As I noted, this has come up in earlier threads, without anyone arriving at a solution that meets people's various needs--never mind anyone actually offering code to implement that ethereal solution.

No, a transaction has at least *two* splits. That's where "double entry" comes from, after all. A transaction marked "--split transaction--" in the account field of basic or double-line view has at least three splits., only one of which is for the current account. A transaction with more than one split in the current account will display once in the register *for each split* unless splits are displayed. (I see this often in my stock accounts because I prefer to do my own cap gains calculations and add the cap gain splits to the sell transaction to using lots and having a separate cap gains transaction.)

Regards,
John Ralls