Online updates

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 21 16:39:12 EST 2011

On 12/21/2011 11:05 AM, Alan P Alvarez wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thinking about getting rid of Quicken and installing GNU-cash, my
> questions: Is there a way to download transactions from financial
> institutions(credit cards, banks, etc.) into GNU-cash same as Quicken does?
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> Alan P. Alvarez
> IBM Global Services
> (717) 526-1136  T/L 239 1136
> aalvarez at us.ibm.com

Alan,

as a GnuCash user and former Quicken user, I can report that there is no
equivalent to the Quicken One Step Update.  However, Gnucash accepts
import files in several formats, including QIF and OFX/QFX.

For some financial institutions the AQBanking feature will work very
similar to the Quicken One Step Update, but it is not a trivial exercise
to configure it correctly.  DiscoverCard is one, and, like their Quicken
behavior, they do not include the monthly interest charge in the data.

For most institutions it is easiest to manually open your account online
and export a file that will manually import into Gnucash.

That is what I do for several accounts.

Read the documentation sections on imports.

David