Unclose Books?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Dec 23 07:30:39 EST 2011

ANTHONY NELSON wrote:

>Is it possible to unclose books after they have been closed?
>
>Regards,
>-- Tony (tonyn999 at me.com)

You didn't say HOW you closed the books.

Since I don't myself use the automated method I don't know if it does it
by posting a closing transaction. IF you did it manually, you would
simply remove the transaction (or more properly following the strict
rule of not removing an entry once made, enter a reversing transaction).
So if the automatic method creates a transaction to perform the closing,
simply enter a reversing transaction.

BUT this does not really address proper procedures. Ideally you would
have made a backup (copied the file) immediately before closing (end of
old books) and then one immediately after closing (start of new books).
In which case to "unclose" you would simply open the backup made
immediately before closing. Next time.

This time? How long before closing was your last "save" backup? If you
used the automated method AND that did not generate a transaction
perhaps you have a saved state not long before closing that you can go
back to.

Michael