Importing QIF fails

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Dec 30 02:13:36 EST 2011

--On December 29, 2011 8:19:14 PM +0000 Carl LaCombe
<calcisme at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have read that getting quotes for TIAA-CREF funds is possible using
> the  pseudo-symbols, but there is no detailed instruction on how to
> do this.  I tried adding new securities under NASDAQ using the
> pseudo-symbols,  but the price editor was not able to retrieve quotes
> for them. How are the  pseudo-symbols used? Can they be used in
> GnuCash directly?

It's possible, but only by patching the Perl Finance Quote package.
That package seems to be more or less abandoned.  There have been no
updates to it in over 2 years and patches I submitted over a year ago
haven't been applied to the GIT repository yet.

If you're interested in a discussion of why TIAA/CREF quotes don't work
well in Finance Quote take a look at
<https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=62104>.  If you apply
all the patches attached to that bug report it will work fairly well.
I have one more patch that isn't on that bug report, but it just makes
it work better if there are no quotes for 3 or more consecutive days so
it isn't all that important.

I have another set of patches to make currency quotes work better which
also hasn't been applied to GIT but I may not have submitted them.

           Mike