Simple problem but big head ache procesing it

JamesGLang jamesglang at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:38:33 EST 2011

Hi William
Thanks for your input

Accounts Receivable 435.60          (asset Account)
Income                           495.00  (Income account)
Agent Fee                49.50           (expense account)
Vat Paid Out              9.90           (Vat Liability Account)

That is how I had originally posted the transaction straight in to the cash
book (Bank account)
but as my business has grown I started to create customers and vendors where
my tenants and letting agents are my customers and trades people etc. are my
vendors.
I have been going through and creating (or trying to create) invoices which
will replace the original entries (This has been very worthwhile as it opens
up a lot of the built in reporting options)

Creating the customer invoice for the full amount is fine and I can deduct
the fees and the tax but I cant get them to post to the correct expense
accounts as the system does not show them in the drop down list of accounts,
it only shows Income, Asset, Liabilities, Loans and Unspecified  accounts.

For the time being I have been posting the fees and tax to Unspecified then
doing a transfer to the correct account which works but its rather long
winded.

The other option I thought of was to create a vendor account for the letting
agent
Bill the letting agent the full rental value (as a customer) and post that
to the correct income account Then raise an invoice for the letting agent as
a vendor for the fees and tax
 and post that to the correct expense accounts.  That would work but it
throws out the statistics on the customer / vendor analysis reports

What I had hoped for on the original post I send (having re-read it, its a
bit ambiguous and I didn’t explain my self very well, so no fault to
yourself or the others that posted)

Was an easy way to create an invoice that could contain elements of income
and expense
where the expense part went to the correct account, without any messing
around with transfers

I am now thinking that is not possible (please prove me wrong)

Please see image(s) attached

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4249910/ScreenShot.jpg
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4249910/ScreenShotA.jpg