upgrading GnuCash

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 19:16:29 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM, John Layman
<john.layman at laymanandlayman.com> wrote:
> Any words of wisdom on upgrading from 2.2.9 to 2.4?  This will be the first
> time I've tackled a version change, and I'm wondering what tips there may be
> for preserving customizations (e.g. stylesheets)?

I have never customized the stylesheets, but be sure to keep a copy of
the stylesheet files elsewhere. There have been some behind-the-scenes
changes to the reports so be prepared to make a backup copy of your
data to open with 2.2.9 if you need to run its reports until you get
the stylesheets fixed. You might not even need the backup copy of the
data file -- it may work fine going up and down between 2.2.9 and
2.4.0, but it would be prudent to assume the worst. I don't KNOW of
any problems, however.

In fact...

I was delaying the upgrade until after I prepared my tax-time reports
for my CPAs, but on a whim yesterday I compiled the latest version,
and when I ran it on a backup copy of my data, the reports rendered
MUCH MUCH faster. SO much faster, I decided it was worth upgrading.
For example, the income statement took almost a minute under 2.2.9 vs.
less than 10 seconds under 2.4.0.

I'm running Ubuntu, and because I don't want to risk the bleeding edge
svn version on my data, I used GnuCash 2.4.0 in the repository at
getdeb.net.