See below .LCK file cannot be opened

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Feb 2 07:24:05 EST 2011

>>As you point out, it's an OS-level problem. Should they point of all
>>the ramifications of all OS characteristics?
>>
>>Regardless, the OP solved their problem. And probably won't use an
>>ampersand in a filename/directory name again. :-)
>>
>>So we should probably let this drop.
>>

>Once it is fully documented on the wiki.

And as I have been trying to point out, this is NOT just a matter of
explicit avoidance of using certain file/directory names. Needs to
include an explanation that USER NAMES (log in IDs) are restricted
because these are implicit in a directory name in the data path. The
typical Windows user is not going to understand that "don't use certain
characters in file/directory names" MEANS "don't use certain characters
in your log in name" unless we tell them that. And we need to tell them
what to do. something that  makes sense for them to do. Thus not "change
your user name to something legal for a 'nix operating system", not even
"change your user name" because that is a lot of work for all their
other applications and we can't expect them to know how to do that (I
could change my T'Bird/FireFox data paths but could the naive Windows
user?). We need to say something like "if your normal log in name isn't
legal for gnucash create another user with a name that is and log in
with that when you want to use gnucash".

Michael