How can I create a report the way I need it?

Phil Allen p.allen at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 2 17:59:40 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm new to Gnucash (using v2.4.0 on Windows) having moved over from a very
old version of Quicken.

I like what I've found and only have one problem (so far!).  That is that my
accountant needs a report in a certain format and I can't see how to create
it in GC.  I've had a good play with the reports options and a search
through the archives here, but can't find anything like what I'm trying to
do.  Note that Quicken can't do this report either, I've been using a csv
file to move data to excel and formatting it there but I was hoping to move
to one place to do everything.

The specific problem is this:
I have an account called 'Business' which has a number of sub-accounts
called things like 'Materials', 'Motoring', 'Admin', etc.  I input
transactions and allocate them according to the relevant account.  Some
transactions may be split across more than one sub-account.  Examples:
Date    Item    Total    Sub1    Amount1    Sub2    Amount2
01/02/2011    Fuel    £70    Motoring    £70
02/02/2011    Timber    £30    Materials    £30
03/02/2011    DIY barn    £50    Materials    £30    Motoring    £20

The report I need would be formatted:
Date    Item    Total    Motoring    Materials    Admin
01/02/2011    Fuel    £70    £70
02/02/2011    Timber    £30    -    £30
03/02/2011    DIY barn    £50    £20    £30

So, basically, the sub-accounts need to be column headings in the report.

Is this possible in GC, and if so how do I do it please?  Or even better, is
there anyone who knows much more about GC than I do able to make it do it
for me please?

As a last alternative, how do I get a csv file of a selected bunch of
transactions out?  I've been looking at XML which appears like it could be
the way to do it, but I've never used it before (I'm a self employed
handyman, although I do have a little software experience from my previous
career) and can't figure out what it's exporting for me.  Is there an
idiot's guide?

Thanks for your time and any assistance you can give me - or even if you can
tell me what I'm trying to do isn't possible so I can stop trying!

Phil