First Time to Reconcile - opening balance is wrong

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Feb 4 16:06:37 EST 2011

On Friday 04 February 2011 20:50:05 Mark Phillips wrote:
> I started with gnucash in January. I went through the setup wizard and
> entered the opening balance for my checking account. It shows correctly in
> the register window and equity account. But when I click on reconcile,
> after adding a month of transactions, the opening balance in the
> reconciliation window is $0.00. I have cleared all the transactions from my
> statement, but I can't reconcile the beast because the opening balance is
> wrong. How do I fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry, it isn't clear - is this the first time you have reconciled?  The
opening balance is computed from the already-reconciled txns.  Clearing isn't
the same as reconciling!

Just ensure that your end date and closing balance are entered correctly in
the reconcile dialogue, and go for it. Should come out OK at the end of the
reconcile process.