setting up a car loan

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Thu Feb 10 11:08:25 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 07:55:38AM -0800, Harold wrote:
> Yes, I have but like I said, when I get to the 'Transfer Type', I am
> stumped as what to do at that point.

I'm not sure where you would encounter a "Transfer Type". I'm not in
front of gnucash now, but I guess this is in some sort of dialog you are
encountering to set the opening balance for the account, before you get
to entering the loan transaction.

Ignore that. All an "opening balance" will do for you is create a
transaction in the account, usually transfering funds from
Equity:Opening Balances. It's an entirely optional convienence thing
that doesn't help you in this case.

See this example:

http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/figures/loans_mortgage2.png

from this page: