Resorting top-level accounts?

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Sat Feb 12 10:21:07 EST 2011

In my accounts page, there are the usual top-level accounts Assets,
Equity, Expenses, Income, Liabilities — in that order. Since the
subaccounts of Income and Expenses are so long compared to Assets and
Liabilities, and I often want to look at both Asssets and Liabilities
at the same time, I'd like to change this ordering. Obviously I could
rename the accounts, but that would make it less straightforward to
type account names in transactions.

I am thinking to use one of the 'Account Code', 'Description', or
'Notes' field for a sort key, and sort the accounts page with that.
I've tested this with Account Code, and it works. I wouldn't want to
use Description or Notes because then subaccounts with actual
meaningful text in those fields would end up not being alphabetical by
name.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this, or a better way to customize
the sorting?

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>