Entering paycheck with 401k employer contribution

spinsheet spinsheet at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 15:56:00 EST 2011

I'm using GNUcash 2.2.9 and am trying to enter a paycheck with both an
employee and employer 401k contribution and I'm not sure how to set it up.
In my accounts I have the following:

Income:Salary
Assets:Current Assets:Checking Account
Investments:Retirement:Mutual Fund
Expenses:Taxes:Federal (and state, medicare, etc.)

I have set it up as such:

Net Pay  -  Assets:Current Assets:Checking Account   $2000.00
Federal Taxes  -  Expenses:Taxes:Federal $500.00 (and state, etc.)
401k, employee contribution  -  Investments:Retirement:Mutual Fund $200.00
Gross Pay  -  Income:Salary  $2700.00

My employer matches my $200.00 contribution 100% with $200.00. How do I show
that? Would I just add another line such as:

401k, employer contribution  -  Investments:Retirement:Mutual Fund $200.00

and then adjust my gross pay to $2900.00?

Once this is figured out, how do I then adjust for an 'change in account
value' for the  Mutual Fund that are on my monthly statement? When I bring
up that account the headers are:

Description, Transfer, Shares, Price, Buy, Sell, Balance

I really have no kind of accounting background (can you tell?) and am having
a bit of difficulty in figuring this part out so any help is appreciated.

Thanks