Gnucash SaaS

engineerchuan engineerchuan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:37:56 EST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I started using Gnucash a year ago and am super impressed with it.

A lot of software has been moving to the cloud (i.e. Quickbooks ->
Quickbooks Online). This makes sense from a synchronization standpoint
especially if people are getting computers, laptops, smartphones, and
tablets and want to check out their finances on all these devices.
[Currently, I Dropbox my Gnucash files as a workaround.]

I was wondering if anybody had considered hosting a Gnucash server

- keeps user data in the cloud.
- browser based UI hooking into Gnucash.
- ability to import and export books from /to desktop clients etc
- sharing of books with other people, etc.. (read/ read write etc..) for
example your accountant who doesn't want to install the desktop client.

What do you developers think?  Is this something that would be beneficial to
users?  Obviously the costs would preclude it from being gratis.  Would any
of you users use such a product?

Best Regards and keep up the great work!

Chuan