AqBanking Wizard Doesn't Work

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Feb 13 14:06:58 EST 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 7:56 PM, Mark wrote:

> On 2/9/11 10:20 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Mark wrote:
>>> MBP, 10.6.6 -- I've installed and successfully run Gnucash 2.4, and now I'd like to try AqBanking. I can't recall ever trying to set it up before. When I try to start to AqBanking Wizard, I get this message:
>>>
>>>  The external program "AqBanking Setup Wizard" failed to run
>>>  successfully.  Online Banking can only be setup if this wizard has
>>>  run successfully.  Please try running the "AqBanking Setup Wizard"
>>>  again.
>>>
>>> This message is not so helpful. I've tried to run the Update Dirs.appfrom the installation disk image, but that throws an error, too -- I'd quote it, except now when I try to run it, it just instantly crashes.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>> Are you using 2.4.0 or 2.4.2?
>> Open Applications:Utilities:Console.app and see if there are any useful messages in the Console Log and (for 2.4.0) if there's a crash reporter entry for qt4-wizard.
>
> Nothing in the Console: a search for "qt4" turns up as not found. However, I downloaded 2.4.2, ran UpdateDirs.app (which threw no errors, though it didn't explicitly say it completed successfully either), and then started GnuCash. I ran the AqBanking Wizard with partial success: the wizard started, but it won't create either a new user or a new account. The new user wizard shows the first panel: "This dialog assists you in creating an online banking user...", but clicking on "Next" takes me to a blank panel. No matter how many times I click on "Next", if I click on "Previous" just once, I'm taken back to "This dialog assists you...." If I try to create a new account, a dialog pops up offering a backend (aqofxconnect by default), but clicking "OK" does nothing except make the dialog close, as if I had clicked Cancel.
>
> So, now what do I do?

Please remember to CC the list on your replies. (Use reply all.)

I'm a bit at a loss about what might be wrong. When I run "Create" from the Users panel (on my MBP, which I don't use for building gnucash so that I can be sure that something left out of the bundle won't get pulled in from the development directories), I get the attached series of dialog boxes. If there's nothing in the console log indicating an error, perhaps there's something in gnucash.trace (aqbanking and its companion library gwenhywfar spewed about two pages of "CRIT" messages (which don't look very critical to me, but they are helpful for debugging). Gnucash.trace is in a tmp folder under /var/folders -- which doesn't show in Finder and which Searchlight doesn't search. The easiest way to find it is to open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and enter at the command prompt:
find /var/folders -name gnucash.trace

To read the file,
find /var/folders -name gnucash.trace -exec less \{\} \;

To search in less, type a "/" (no quotes); you can then type "aqbanking" (again, no quotes) and [return] to find the first instance, which should be an incorrect message about aqbanking 5 not being supported yet. Following that should be a bunch of stuff about setting up dialog boxes and enabling buttons, and I hope there will be a clue to the problem buried in there somewhere.

Regards,
John Ralls