importing previously exported accounts

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 15:53:22 EST 2011

On 19 February 2011 17:05, ij <ian.2sheds at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
> apologies if this is a known issue, but I'm stuck. I was running gnucash
> 2.3.1 on a windows 7 machine and decided to upgrade to the latest stable
> version 2.4.0, before upgrading I did an export accounts to a second drive.
> I then did the upgrade to 2.4, the installer said it would do an uninstall
> but my data would be safe. After the install had completed on first run I
> got a message saying that the file in the default search path could not be
> parsed. I then tried to import the file I exported but this doesn't seem to
> work. I've tried every choice in the drop down but cannot get my data back.
> I've tried file open but every file I try to open gives my the cannot parse
> error message.
> So I'm looking at down grading back to 2.3.1 hoping it picks up my data,
> doing a save as and then upgrading and trying again, or starting again. I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed and hoping someone out there can assist me.

Do you know where you saved the data file when you were running 2.3.1?
 Look for a folder containing files with the extension xac, they are
timestamped backup files and your actual data file should be in the
same folder (probably just called something like 'accounts', though
that depends on what you called it when you first saved it.  It should
be somewhere under your My Documents folder.  All your transactions
should be in that file.  If you find it make a copy of it before
fiddling with it.  You should just be able to open that with the new
version I believe.  (File > Open)

I imagine Win 7 has a find file app that you can ask to look for *.xac files.

Colin