Account hierarchical numbering

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Wed Feb 23 04:43:00 EST 2011

> It should be possible by changing the sort operator.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

First, if you want to treat a field as numeric, then it needs to be stored in a numeric format, defined as numeric in the schema, and insertion of non-numeric values would need to be prevented.

Next, you have the issue of how a number like 2.1.4 can be considered numeric.   The usual way to do that is by imposing an edit convention on a stored number.  Thus 2.1.4 could be 214 edited-masked as N.N.N, or 20104 edit-masked as 0N.0N.0N, etc.  This means that the system would have to know about the editing convention and apply it uniformly wherever the number is entered, displayed or printed.

Nothing is impossible, of course, but unless the whole gnucash system is written with data-schema awareness built in (which given it's history I rather doubt), rather than with the schema hard-wired, then it's a very large task, and not one likely to be justifiable.

Colin