Account hierarchical numbering

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Wed Feb 23 11:09:00 EST 2011

Well, I have to say that to an anglo like myself it sounds like a remarkably bonkers degree if government interference in the minutiae of business administration!!!

However, given that you seem to have no choice but to do that, there are ways in which you could do things to make it work like that without actually having to rewrite the software from the ground up!

To describe an account, you have three fields - Name, Code and Description - which has always struck me as overkill!  Account sort order seems to be based on the Account Code.  So put your hierarchical numbering scheme into the Account _Description_, and then invent a numbering scheme that you know *does* sort in the way you want.  You can choose which of these fields you print in your reports and display on the accounts tab, so it will all seem to work the way you want it to without making any change at all to the software!

Hope that's helpful ...

Colin