Opinion- encrypt then store online?

Nicholas Sherlock n.sherlock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 15:42:26 EST 2011

On 23/02/2011 8:33 a.m., . wrote:
> What do you think of this;
>
> Using TrueCrypt I encrypt my GnuCash data file but move the file between
> 2 computers using a USB flash drive.
> Don't inquirer about the password.
>
> Moving the file between 2 computer becomes rather tedious but has its
> advantages.
>
> I'd like to put my encrypted GnuCash data file up on the web in some
> storage service.  I already have a storage service...it's not DropBox.
> And then I can easily download the file to my other computer, work on
> GnuCash...save it and send it back to the online service.
>
> Do you think that's a risky proposition?

The riskiest part is forgetting which computer has the latest version,
and uploading an old copy over the top of a new one, IMO.

What I'm doing is storing my GNUCash datafile in a Subversion
repository. That way, every revision of my accounting data is retained
(not just the latest), and it automatically refuses to commit a datafile
if it's based on one that is older than the latest. It is also very fast
to use.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock