Is it possible to convert from one set of accounts to another?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 28 10:54:03 EST 2011

Hi,

Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> writes:

> When I originally setup gnucash, I just used the simple personal accounts -
> mostly because I was new to gnucash. After looking at the Gnucash 2.4 Small
> Business Accounting, I probably should have started with the business
> accounts, since I am using gnucash for a small non=profit business. For
> example, I had a need for A/R, so I set up some A/R accounts by hand. Now I
> see that gnucash can handle this for me if I think of customers as donors.
>
> Is there a way to import the transactions from my current "home-made"
> gnucash to a different set of accounts based on the business accounts? Or do
> I have to input all of them by hand?

unfortunately there is not really a way to "import" from one file to
another.  You have two choices:

1) you can shift around your existing account hierarchies, or
2) you can create a new file and manually enter the transactions again.

Note that if you need to split your transactions out into separate
expense accounts you will need to reset those manually.  e.g., if you
started only with "Expense" but now you want Expenses:Food,
Expenses:Groceries, etc. -- you will need to do all that manually.