date-based custom invoicing scheme

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 3 12:28:31 EST 2011

Gour <gour at atmarama.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious if anyone is using some custom numbering-scheme for
> invoices and/or how difficult would it be to implement one?
>
> I'd like invoices to use date-based numbering scheme in the format
> like:
>
> invoiceID-mm-yyyy
>
> where 'mm' and 'yyyy' represent month & year when the invoice was
> issued.
>
> I was told to use something like:
>
> @{id}-@{date_opened.strftime('%Y-%m')}

This is certainly possible (although I don't know the exact format).

> in my templates, but the problem is that {id} should be reset every
> month and/or every year.

This, however (resetting the number) is not possible.  The Invoice# is
monotonically increasing.

You're better off setting the Invoice# to something like:  YYYYMM000;
but then you need to manually reset the number every month.  Or you can
use YYYY0000 and reset it every year.