GnuCash 2.4.0 in Intel MacBook Pro hangs

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 4 09:51:05 EST 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 5:18 AM, Peter Boosten wrote:

> On 27 dec 2010, at 16:00, Peter Boosten wrote:
>

>> On 23 dec 2010, at 07:20, Peter Boosten wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've installed (or upgraded to) 2.4.0, accroding the readme in the dmg file.
>>>
>>> First removed the 2.2.9 version, then ran the Update Dirs tool, which gave me some error messages about things I didn't have installed (like online banking). I assumed these were oke.
>>>
>>> Then copied Gnucash to applications, and started it.
>>>
>>> Gnucash wasn't happy with the changes made by Update Dirs apparently, since it stated that it had to change configuration as well, so I let it.
>>>
>>> After that, gnucash showed my default opened accounts and reports, however hangs immediately after that, and I'm only able to force quit the app.
>>>
>>> Anyone know how to circumvent/solve this issue?
>>
>> Oke, it turned out to be the opened reports: I quit 2.2.9 with some reports opened, and installed 2.4.0 afterwards (after converting the config information). I started anew, with 2.2.9 not showing the reports, then did the whole installation procedure again, and everything worked.
>>
>> Maybe something to mention in the upgrade document?
>

> I now have the real causes of these hangs: it's the combination of open reports and changing languages.
>
> In 2.2.9 I used to have the Dutch language for the menus, and after deinstalling 2.2.9 in order to install 2.4.0, this language changed to English. The open reports caused Gnucash to hang.
>
> I wanted Dutch menus again, so I changed Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash, and added these two lines:
>
> export LANGUAGE=nl_NL
> export LANG=nl_NL
>
> And with open reports, Gnucash hangs.

Interesting.

That's not the way to change languages on a Mac: Use System Preferences>Languages & Text (International on Leopard).

That aside, do reports open correctly in Dutch if they're generated fresh? If you've generated Dutch reports and leave
them open when you shut down Gnucash, does Gnucash still hang on restart?

Regards,
John Ralls