puzzle about Mortgage and Loan payments (2.4.0, OS X 10.5.8)

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 16:15:23 EST 2011

Ah -- not quite, but good pointer: the interest/principal split GnuCash
calculated would be correct for *this month* (i.e., what it gives for July
2009 are the amounts it should give for January 2011; subsequent splits
increase principal and decrease interest, so the amounts it offers for
January 2011 are now about $10 off).

Here's what you do: the wizard asks for the Length of the loan and its
start date. It automatically fills in Months Remaining by subtracting the
number of months -- n -- between the start date and the current date from
the total length of the loan. And, apparently, the first payment it offers
is for month n. But it will accept a number in the Months Remaining field,
and if you put in the total length of the loan, it fills in payments with
the right amounts.

Thank you!