Question about Assets as reported vs account balance

Joost 't Hart joost.t.hart at planet.nl
Thu Jan 6 06:59:37 EST 2011

Hi,

Looks like I am not the only one struggling here...

Roughly: Unrealized gains follows from income -/- costs in the
profit&loss report.

In the simplest of all circumstances, the value of your assests will
have increased in this case, and to keep the balance even, the amount of
gains must be added to your initial equity. Indeed.

And this is what GC does at my end. There is no account as such; it just
follows from the others.

If your balance _is_ even, I guess something has gone wrong in your book
keeping. How are your increased assets being compensated?

What I am still looking for is how to xfer the unrealized gains at the
end of the year. The become "realized gains" and should end up at some
equity account.

I do not know how to accomplish this, preferably without nullifying
income and expense accounts...

For what it's worth it; cheers,
Joost.