FX Rates

Ken kmailuk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:13:40 EST 2011

Hi all,

This question is about two years old but I am still having a problem
with exchange rates (version 2.4.0 on Windows XP).  I have created an
Account Summary report and ticked the option to show exchange rates.
The report lists a number of securities and currencies but does not
show the exchange rate.  I have not included price data for all
securities, but certainly many of them do have prices entered.

What is the exchange rate logic in GnuCash? For example, if I have
some price data for GBP/USD and EUR/USD for a number of dates, say 1st
of each month, how does the program calculate the exchange rate for
GBP/USD on, say, the 15th of a month? Can it calculate GBP/EUR given
the other rates? Does it understand USD/GBP to be the inverse of
GBP/USD?

Thanks,
Ken