FX Rates

Ken kmailuk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 10:17:43 EST 2011

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply but I am not sure I follow your point.  In your
example the user has made two FX transactions at different FX rates.
In terms of reporting the values of the trades one could use the
average of the two rates as the fair market conversion or one could
have a third GBP/USD price series which indicates the fair market
conversion rate or something similar.  Just because the FX conversion
at Bank A (or at a bid price) and the conversion at Bank B (or at the
ask price) are different should not mean a jump should be impossible.

My point is if I have prices for IBM/USD (say $150/share and I have
100 shares) and I have prices for GBP/USD (say $1.50/£ and I have
£1,000), I can generate a report in reporting currency USD.  But if I
want to generate a report in GBP, GnuCash is not capable of doing this
even though it has all the necessary information. Is it not possible
to add functionality?  The calculation of only a single conversion
jump would greatly improve the reporting functionality in a
multi-currency/asset environment.  What am I missing?

Regards,
Ken