equity fund accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 14:03:10 EST 2011

Marilyn--

Please note that I Am Really Not An Accountant, but ...

I'm pretty sure you're misusing the term 'equity' here. Equity (as I understand it and read about it) in accounting land is "the value of a business or property that remains after claims or expenses have been deducted." (Costa, Carol. Alpha teach yourself accounting in 24 hours, 2nd ed., p. 10).

In other words, an accountant generates transactions to Equity on a periodic basis, in a process known as Closing the books. I don't think you're doing that, but I could be wrong.

As for your paycheck, I assume that it actually gets deposited in some kind of back account; if so, then the transaction should reflect this by putting the money into an Asset account for that bank account.

I suspect that you are trying to keep track of both your business books AND your personal books in one file, which from an accounting perspective is less than ideal. There was a thread about this recently, with Types Who Know These Things saying that you really need to separate your business books from your personal ones.

David