Reconcile question

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 14:11:42 EST 2011

John--

--- On Sat, 1/8/11, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> From: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> Subject: Re: Reconcile question
> To: "Chris Harris" <chris.harris123 at gmail.com>
> Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 10:32 AM
>
> On Jan 8, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Chris Harris wrote:
>
> > I seem to have an issue with the opening balance in a
> checking account
> > when I choose reconcile.
> >
> > All transactions for the month and prior month are
> reconciled.  They
> > show a Y in the R column in the ledger.  The
> balance for the beginning
> > of the month is correct in the ledger.  When I
> choose reconcile, the
> > beginning balance is off by 13,176.94.  Other
> discussions I have seen
> > on this topic try to correct this by entering an
> offsetting
> > transaction, but as I said, my balance is correct in
> the ledger.  Any
> > suggestions on how I can correct this?
> >
> > Using Ubuntu 10.10 and the Standard Ubuntu
> distribution of gnucash v  2.2.9.
>
> The starting balance is the ending balance the last time
> you reconciled. You can calculate it by looking at the last
> reconciled transaction: Note the balance and the date. Look
> in the reconcile window for any transactions that show up
> before that date and adjust the balance by those
> transactions, subbtracting unreconciled income and adding
> unreconciled expenses.

I would advise differently. I would note that the starting balance in the Reconcile window is calculated from the data, and recommend first trying to reconcile the account *without* entering any special transactions.

It can happen that a transaction that was reconciled previously gets de-reconciled at a later date. If these dereconciled transactions are subsequently re-reconciled, then the problem can simply go away. I would try that before adding extra transactions to the ledger.

David