equity fund accounts

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 14:29:46 EST 2011

Hi,

I’m not sure I understood your question. Could you clarify:

On 2011-01-08, at 10:55, Marilyn Graves Kimple wrote:

> […]
> My old program allowed me to designate an equity account as a "fund”,

Over here, are you talking about a fund account, like a mutual fund, where you would typically want to track the number of units bought/sold, and unit price? If yes, GnuCash does have a Fund account type you can use to do that.

>  meaning I can make deposits or withdrawals and roll over funds from month to month, unlike income and expenses.

Every GnuCash account has this feature, whether income/expense/asset/…. The rightmost column in every account register will show you a running balance since the account was opened.

> For example, at the end of the month I can debit any 'profits' to an expense account ("accruals"-- I may be misusing the term) and divide the credit among several equity accounts I have set up.

So I’m seeing two ways to interpret this, since ‘profits’ is in quotes–do you mean (1) you realise any gains on your mutual fund account and post those to equity accounts, or (2) you have profits from your business operations which you post to equity? GnuCash can do both.

> I can also deposit a check in a bank account and credit it directly to an equity account.

Same question as above (i.e., is the ‘equity’ account a mutual fund account?).

> Could I do this in gnucash, and what would I need to do to set it up?

I would say a conditional yes, and you would need to create the relevant accounts (with the correct types) and enter the double-entry transactions to move the money around.

Yawar