Submissions to this list

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 18 11:08:28 EST 2011

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Tuesday 18 January 2011, Paul Abrahams wrote:
>> There are (at least) two ways to make submissions to this list: by sending
>> email to gnucash-user or by making new topics on the forum at Nabble.  I
>> hadn't thought about it until a message I sent yesterday to gnucash-user
>> didn't show up, so I sent a duplicate (labelled as such) via Nabble.  I'm
>> registered at Nabble.   I'm also subscribed to the digest.
>>
>> The message at Nabble seemed to be delayed until it was approved -- which
>> is puzzling, since I'm registered there, so no approval should be needed.
>>
>> So how do these two ways of posting compare?  Which is better?
> The only way supported by the GnuCash developers is posting via a an e-mail,
> so that is likely to be preferred.
>
> I don't know who set up the nabble forum. It wasn't any of the currently
> active GnuCash devs that I know of. I'm not against posting via Nabble, I just
> have no clue how to solve any issues that may arise. I can't speak for the
> other devs, but I think they have a similer attitude towards posting via
> Nabble.

Just to add to this.  We don't control Nabble, and indeed nobody here
has any ties to Nabble.  The gnucash mailing list is just that, a
mailing list, and as such senders must be subscribed in order for posts
to get sent through.  People who are not subscribed directly to the list
will get put into the moderator queue.  Members of Nabble are no
exception, as we have no ties to nabble, and nabble has no special ties
to us.  As far as the list is concerned, nabble is just another mail
forwarder; access to the list is still per the gnucash mail server
subscriber list.

If you don't want your posts moderated then subscribe directly to the
list.

If you don't want to receive email then after you subscribe you can tell
the list not to send you email by turning off message delivery for your
account.

If you remain unsubscribed then expect your posts to remain moderated.