invoice payments amount doesn't match after changes to invoice

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 19 11:26:33 EST 2011

Hi,

John Griessen <john at cibolo.com> writes:

> I had some mistakes on invoices (too much sales tax), so I unposted, changed and reposted several invoices
> making their totals smaller.  Now my customer report is good, but the amount to pay
> that pops up when you select business-->pay invoice starting from an invoice is off from that.
>
> It seems that something bad happened when I hand edited the gnucash file :-)
>
> I've taken to marking  reconciles with a "c" in the reconciled state column, then searching the gnucash
> file for the string ">c<" and changing it to >y<  when I want to redo a reconciled item.
>
> Sure, it's a no-no.  I did it though.
>
> So, is there anything to do to repair this situation, or should I start a new gnucash file
> and lose all my customer data?

Copy down all your payment information for that customer starting with
the first invoice you changed.  Then go into your A/R account and remove
all payment transactions (including any "Auto Forward" transactions that
may have been created).

Then re-apply all your payments using Process Payment for that Customer,
in chronological order.

> Meanwhile I am ignoring the hints in  business-->pay invoice dialog, printable invoice payments shown,
> and receivable aging.  They're all affected.

Correct.  Your invoice/payment lots are all confused.  The way to clear
them up is to effectively reset the data and rebuild the mappings.
There's an open bug for this issue.

> John Griessen
> using version 2.2.9 debian package
>
> will a migration to the newest source code build cure all?

Nope, it wont.