Remove all zero-value Imbalance-XXX splits?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:09:35 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Jeff Kletsky <gnucash at allycomm.com> wrote:
> Many transactions seem to end up with zero-value Imbalance-USD splits that
> make it hard to ensure that all transactions have valid splits as we go
> along.
>
> Is there a way (short of munging the XML or database directly) of removing
> such "meaningless" splits?
>
> You can't easily open the Imbalance-USD register view and delete them from
> there.

Hi -- I haven't seen many of these bad splits EXCEPT in cases where I
was editing a split transaction and the transaction lost focus and
saved the transaction before I was finished assigning values to the
amounts. Is this what is happening to you?

OR is it possible that you had a common transaction with a bad split
that is getting auto-filled? If the latter is the case, correcting the
bad transactions should take care of it.

If the transactions are getting created under some other circumstance
please write back (please copy the EMAIL LIST; don't just reply to me)
describing what sorts of transactions are developing this problem, and
supply the exact version of GnuCash you are using, including the
platform (linux, Windows, Mac, etc.).

Two ways I can think of to fix the bad transactions:

1) Open the Imbalance-USD register, select a transaction and use the
Actions-->Jump command to go to the source of the split.

2) Use  Edit --> Find to search for transactions using the
Inbalance-USD account and edit the splits in the results window. (If
it still won't allow you to edit them, you might have to resort to
using option #1, above.)