payment getting split in two lines

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jan 23 10:17:23 EST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, January 23, 2011 9:23 am, rahul bhise wrote:
> i am on Ubuntu 9.10 gnucash=2.2.9
> when i get payment from my customer i go to Business>customer>process
> payment.
> but it get divided into many parts as per the bill.
> eg. suppose a customer X purchased from me as following
> 1/1/11  abc  $100
> 2/1/11  abc  $50
> 3/1/11  dcb  $20
> 4/1/11  gdb  $120
> and gives a payment of $125 on 3/1/11 then it is shown in account book as
> 1/1/11  abc  $100
>
> 2/1/11  abc  $50
>
> 3/1/11  dcb  $20
> 3/1/11  cash            $100
> 3/1/11  cash            $25
>
> 4/1/11  gdb  $120
> but i want to see it in this way
> 1/1/11  abc  $100
>
> 2/1/11  abc  $50
>
> 3/1/11  dcb  $20
> 3/1/11  cash            $125
>
> 4/1/11  gdb  $120
> what should i do to atten this result

Look at it from the Cash account, or run a Customer Report.

The reason this happens is that the $125 is being split up amongst the
invoices.  So $100 is being applied to the invoice from 1/1/11, and then
the remaining $25 is being applied toward the invoice from 2/1/11.  This
is always how an "overpayment" gets applied across multiple invoices.

If you want to see it as you wish then run the Customer Report which will
report on the invoices and payments without showing the details of how the
payments are applied.