Earmark fixed percentage of income for charity

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Jan 29 17:08:20 EST 2011

Aryeh Leib Taurog wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just starting to use gnucash.  I want to make sure that I give 10%
> (exactly) of my income to charity.  What's the best way to do this?

Aren't you over complicating this? Money in "fungible". You want to give
to charity an amount of money that is 10% the amount of your income over
some time period. It doesn't matter which of your current asset accounts
the money given to charity comes from, does it? Your income check could
be deposited in one account but a check for a donation to some charity
to another. At times during the period you might have given more than
10% and at times less, but you'd need to check close to the end of the
period that you have met your donation goal.

You have an income account.
You have a donations account.
Surely in December (or whenever your fiscal year ends) you can check to
see if the latter is 10% of the former, and if short, make additional
donations to bring you to 10%. You need to automate a calculation that
is no more than a shift of decimal point? You can't eyeball that?

Michael