See below .LCK file cannot be opened

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 21:29:32 EST 2011

--- On Mon, 1/31/11, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> From: Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>
> Subject: Re: See below .LCK file cannot be opened
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 5:53 PM
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:13:14 -0600
> "James Porath" <jjp2 at knology.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I am unable to find the answer to this one. After
> inputting all of my
> > data, creating the Tree hierarchy, I had this happen
> and can't get
> > anything resolved.
> >
> > I am running Vista Home Premium, a single user and
> single PC. No
> > network involved. When I attempt to open after setting
> up another
> > file, this is the
> >
> > response.
> >
> >      The file type of file
> file://C:\Users\James\Documents\James &
> > Julie.gnucash.LCK is unknown.
> >
> > When I try to open this file thru without going thru
> another.....
> >

> I'm not a Windows user, but I recall 2 problems here
> 1. the .LCK file is just a marker file that the file is in
> use. It is
> empty and it can't be opened

Under normal circumstances, opening Gnucash will automatically open the last file you had open. Perchance, does this work for you?

> 2. the spaces in your file name "James & Julie" will
> cause trouble.
> Rename this file with your file manager and then choose
> File > Open

Agreed--only I think it might more likely be the "&" in the file name that is causing trouble. If I recall correctly, there have been troubles with spaces in the directory structure, although I don't know whether that applies to the file name itself as well. Ampersands, however, will probably screw things up.

David