Fwd: Importing QIF files

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 13:26:07 EDT 2011

Rennie--

It sounds like one of two problems:
1) You have your checking account in the wrong part of your books (i.e., under Liabilities or Expenses).

Or

2) You are misreading the Register, which can use Accounting-form terminology for the columns, which seem backwards to many casual users. That is, the terms 'Debit' and 'Credit' are the opposite of lay-user expectations.

Try taking a look at the Tutorial (http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/index.html) and chapter 2.1.3 in particular to see whether anything there helps you.

David