importing bank transactions via .csv (again!)

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 16 22:21:56 EDT 2011

On Jul 16, 2011, at 9:22 PM, Ralph at papaworx.com wrote:

> Thanks. Actually, my bank can also export OFX, so I don't have to convert csv
> into QIF. But I hoped to be able to package the "to" account somehow into
> the import file. The payee field can actually identify the "to" account for
> about 70% of my transactions. This conversion I could more easily do from
> the csv file than from the OFX, either in MS Access, an Excel macro, C# or a
> perl script. But that leaves the question: how can I import both the "from"
> and the "to" account name. Now I have to manually assign each transaction.

Keep in mind that OFX is strictly one account at a time. That account will determine one split of your imported transaction.

I don't know of any way to 'preload' the matching algorithm for the  "to" account. As long as Bayesian matching is turned on in the Online Banking preferences, gnucash learns the "to" accounts that you assign with each import. While it takes 2-4 imports (depends on the number of transactions total) for gnucash to learn which account is associated with your payees, after a while gnucash gets the destination account correct most of the time.

--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net