Problems trying to get currency separator correct for CAD

bunk3m bunk3m at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 09:52:45 EDT 2011

On 22.07.2011 09:21, John Ralls wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 9:00 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> On Jul 21, 2011, at 5:58 PM, bunk3m wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you, John.
>>>
>>> In the earlier part of my post which I guess got lost, I mentioned that
>>> I had already tried to do this using the wiki post.
>>>
>>> In the FAQ it says to do the following command to customize: "defaults
>>> write -app Gnucash AppleLocale = "en_US at currency=CAD" "
>>>
>>> This command should actually be:
>>>
>>>   defaults write -app /Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app
>>> AppleLocale="en_US at currency=CAD"
>>>
>>> But I get an error:
>>>  2011-07-20 13:42:44.553 defaults[4877:10b]
>>>  Rep argument is not a dictionary
>>>  Defaults have not been changed.
>>>
>>> Can you help me with understanding why the command didn't work?
>> Apparently not; it isn't working for me on my MBA, either.
>>
>> The syntax *is* correct in the FAQ article. See "Specifying Domains" in the defaults manpage. I'll have to figure out why it doesn't work for Gnucash.
> Well,,, the syntax was *almost* correct in the Wiki article (it's fixed now, with a note).
> The command is:
>
>  defaults write -app Gnucash AppleLocale 'en_US at currency=CAD'
>
> Note the single quotes. It's the double quotes that were causing the error.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thank you for helping out with the command, John.

Gnucash preferences:account has always shown the Default Currency to be
Locale: CAD (Canadian Dollar).  This has always been selected.

When I typed the command you posted above I got:
    $ defaults write -app Gnucash AppleLocale 'en_US at currency=CAD'

    $ 2011-07-22 09:37:03.093 defaults[2413:10b] Couldn't find an
application named "Gnucash"; defaults unchanged

So I changed it to:

    $ defaults write -app /Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app AppleLocale
'en_US at currency=CAD'

This appears to have worked since there was no error message.  However,
I still have a comma for the currency separator between the dollars and
cents. ie. 1 234,56 $

:-(

There appears to be a bigger problem at play here.

I took one of the other suggestions and changed the Default currency to
USD.  Then I changed the currency of the cheque account to USD also.  I
was hoping to get $1,234.56 as USD has the same currency separator as
Canada.  Now I'm getting:

    USD 1 234,56

Ha ha ha.  This is nuts!   Grrrrr!!!

I restarted Gnucash just to see if that would make a difference.  But no
joy.

So I change it back to CAD.

Do you have any other suggestion?