Problems trying to get currency separator correct for CAD

bunk3m bunk3m at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:29:51 EDT 2011

On 22.07.2011 11:17, John Ralls wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 9:52 AM, bunk3m wrote:

>>> Well,,, the syntax was *almost* correct in the Wiki article (it's fixed now, with a note).
>>> The command is:
>>>
>>> defaults write -app Gnucash AppleLocale 'en_US at currency=CAD'
>>>
>>> Note the single quotes. It's the double quotes that were causing the error.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>> Thank you for helping out with the command, John.
>>
>> Gnucash preferences:account has always shown the Default Currency to be
>> Locale: CAD (Canadian Dollar).  This has always been selected.
>>
>> When I typed the command you posted above I got:
>>   $ defaults write -app Gnucash AppleLocale 'en_US at currency=CAD'
>>
>>   $ 2011-07-22 09:37:03.093 defaults[2413:10b] Couldn't find an
>> application named "Gnucash"; defaults unchanged
>>
>> So I changed it to:
>>
>>   $ defaults write -app /Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app AppleLocale
>> 'en_US at currency=CAD'
>>
>> This appears to have worked since there was no error message.  However,
>> I still have a comma for the currency separator between the dollars and
>> cents. ie. 1 234,56 $
>>
>> :-(
>>
>> There appears to be a bigger problem at play here.
>>
>> I took one of the other suggestions and changed the Default currency to
>> USD.  Then I changed the currency of the cheque account to USD also.  I
>> was hoping to get $1,234.56 as USD has the same currency separator as
>> Canada.  Now I'm getting:
>>
>>   USD 1 234,56
>>
>> Ha ha ha.  This is nuts!   Grrrrr!!!
>>
>> I restarted Gnucash just to see if that would make a difference.  But no
>> joy.
>>
>> So I change it back to CAD.
>>
>> Do you have any other suggestion?
> Cool!
>
> If you give a path to the application, leave off the -app flag:
>
> defaults write /Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app AppleLocale 'en_US at currency=CAD'
>
> back-test it with
>
> defaults read -app Gnucash AppleLocale
> defaults read org.gnucash.Gnucash AppleLocale
> defaults read /Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app AppleLocale
>
> They should all report the same thing unless defaults is utterly confused by having the app in an unconventional location (it sure shouldn't be).
>
> After futzing about with the account currencies to get two of them to work, I have CAD as the default currency from the locale and amounts in USD show as USD 1,234.56 while amounts in CAD show as $1,234.56.
>
> What shows as the locale default currency in Gnucash? If it's CAD, then that part is working. Numeric formatting is actually independent of currency, and as you know, en_CA and en_US should produce the same results -- so just setting en_CA should do what you want.
>
> What is the result of
> defaults read -g AppleLocale ?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
Hi John.

Here is the result:

a)    defaults read -app Gnucash AppleLocale
  gives:
       defaults[4580:10b] Couldn't find an application named "Gnucash";
defaults unchanged

b)    defaults read org.gnucash.Gnucash AppleLocale
  gives:
       en_US at currency=CAD

c)    defaults read /Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app AppleLocale
   gives:
      defaults[4598:10b]
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Gnucash/Gnucash.app,
AppleLocale) does not exist

The Locale currency in Gnucash is: CAD (Canadian Dollars)

Finally,

    defaults read -g AppleLocale
  gives:
    en_US at currency=CAD

But I still have: 1 234,56 $

(oh good grief...)

Thanks again for your help.  Any other things to try or check?